Subscribe: RSS
  • Hi all, just thought id share my current experience with you.
    Last Saturday I noticed my queen had stopped laying for some reason. There was no eggs or larva just a bit of capped brood (Drone and worker) in a nice pattern. Fantastic honey flow on, am surrounded by rape but definitely not a single egg or even larva. argh!!!
    I quickly ordered a Buckfast mated queen and it came today, amazing, just in the ordinary post, Paul our postie was dead interested.
    Yesterday I removed the queen, I had left her there until I knew the new queen was on her way to prevent laying workers. Don't know if that was the right thing to do. I spend a lot of my time reading up any actions I do but there seems to be different views to every thing in beekeeping! So this afternoon, I pressed the cage in one of the frames that had some capped brood and wrapped it in newspaper and replaced it in the hive. (Read that tip in one of my books)I then closed up.
    But.....I forgot to put some tape over the end of the fondant so I am now beating myself up for exposing the queen too early!!! The bees were dead grumpy and I totally forgot to do that one thing! I hope I get away with it.
    I seem to lurch from one drama to another with this beekeeping lark but I love it. I try to do the right thing for the colony but am definitely on a steep learning curve.
    • Quote from: rosegill at Apr 24, 2015, 06:43 PM
      Hi all, just thought id share my current experience with you.
      Last Saturday I noticed my queen had stopped laying for some reason. There was no eggs or larva just a bit of capped brood (Drone and worker) in a nice pattern. Fantastic honey flow on, am surrounded by rape but definitely not a single egg or even larva. argh!!!
      I quickly ordered a Buckfast mated queen and it came today, amazing, just in the ordinary post, Paul our postie was dead interested.
      Yesterday I removed the queen, I had left her there until I knew the new queen was on her way to prevent laying workers. Don't know if that was the right thing to do. I spend a lot of my time reading up any actions I do but there seems to be different views to every thing in beekeeping! So this afternoon, I pressed the cage in one of the frames that had some capped brood and wrapped it in newspaper and replaced it in the hive. (Read that tip in one of my books)I then closed up.
      But.....I forgot to put some tape over the end of the fondant so I am now beating myself up for exposing the queen too early!!! The bees were dead grumpy and I totally forgot to do that one thing! I hope I get away with it.
      I seem to lurch from one drama to another with this beekeeping lark but I love it. I try to do the right thing for the colony but am definitely on a steep learning curve.
      Hi Rose,
      My new queen arrived last week and after 3 days in the cage I have broken the tab to expose the candy. That's it now, nothing more I can do, I will look on Sunday and see whether I have eggs or am queenless.
      It has been a good experience doing this, let's hope all goes well for the both of us and we have nice quiet and productive colonies.
      • Well.... the situation is.... re queened, she got accepted nicely but there's no brood after 2 weeks. she's wandering around but seems a bit damaged (wing and one of her legs). so... am now waiting for a swarm to home. all in all feel disappointed but will learn from it! How's you lady doing Paul?
        • Quote from: rosegill at May 08, 2015, 02:14 PM
          Well.... the situation is.... re queened, she got accepted nicely but there's no brood after 2 weeks. she's wandering around but seems a bit damaged (wing and one of her legs). so... am now waiting for a swarm to home. all in all feel disappointed but will learn from it! How's you lady doing Paul?
          Long story with a bad ending. All went well until I opened up a week after and the whole colony had died. The supplier of the queen thought that the cold had got hold of them. They still had stores. They are sending a free replacement arriving at the end of the month. There was an email this morning offering a swarm, may be useful to you. Contact Sue at swarmsearch.
          • sorry to hear that Paul, its an education this beekeeping lark.