Subscribe: RSS
  • Happy new year to you all.

One of my colonies has reduced to dreadful temper since re-queening last summer. I intend replacing the queen in the spring if their behaviour does not improve after the winter.

I am probably going to use a "Buckfast" queen but am open to suggestions of other (cheaper) nice non-swarmy bees.

We are always being told to be very cautious in sourcing from abroad so I guess that UK ones are best. Has anyone bought UK sourced queens and any recommendations, or used a reliable source from overseas?

Hope someone out there can help.

Paul
    • Hi Paul,

Happy new year to you too.

Last year I bought a nucleus colony from John Drakes which have a really good temperament and were very prolific. I understand that he does breed queens too, so it might be worth getting in touch with him.

Ed

Quote from: paulvenner at Jan 04, 2015, 12:50 PM
      Happy new year to you all.

One of my colonies has reduced to dreadful temper since re-queening last summer. I intend replacing the queen in the spring if their behaviour does not improve after the winter.

I am probably going to use a "Buckfast" queen but am open to suggestions of other (cheaper) nice non-swarmy bees.

We are always being told to be very cautious in sourcing from abroad so I guess that UK ones are best. Has anyone bought UK sourced queens and any recommendations, or used a reliable source from overseas?

Paul
      • Quote from: edjannoo at Jan 30, 2015, 06:50 AM
        Hi Paul,

Happy new year to you too.

Last year I bought a nucleus colony from John Drakes which have a really good temperament and were very prolific. I understand that he does breed queens too, so it might be worth getting in touch with him.

Ed

Quote from: paulvenner at Jan 04, 2015, 12:50 PM
        Happy new year to you all.

Paul
        Ed,

Thanks but I have just two days ago ordered an overwintered Buckfast to be delivered late April, subject to weather. Decided that I had to go ahead and order something as I reckoned I could not stand those bees until this year's queens became available in July. I used Sipa bees, the chap seemed nice, helpful and very informative re introducing her.

Paul