Subscribe: RSS
  • I want to do a comb change and have fed my bees for a week to try and draw out the new comb. I have just looked at my bees and they aren't drawing comb but they have taken about half the syrup into the old brood box. How can I get the bees to draw comb? on the new frames. The bees have been inspected this year by the bee inspector and have been given the OK disease wise and the colony is strong. Would taking the queen excluder off for a bit help? is it too cold? Any suggestions please.
    • Sometimes the bees just do what they want and take no notice of what they should be doing. I have placed supers on all my hives and some are drawing out their third super and other have not even given them a second glance. If you have a strong colony and good weather the bees will get to it all in good time. They clearly do not feel they need the extra space just yet.
      I would not removed the Q E unless you want the queen to lay in the new box.

Keith
      • Quote from: keithsimmonds at Apr 29, 2014, 04:36 PM
        Sometimes the bees just do what they want and take no notice of what they should be doing. I have placed supers on all my hives and some are drawing out their third super and other have not even given them a second glance. If you have a strong colony and good weather the bees will get to it all in good time. They clearly do not feel they need the extra space just yet.
        I would not removed the Q E unless you want the queen to lay in the new box.

Keith
        OK thanks. I will try to be patient!
        • It is almost 3 weeks since I put the new frames on my hive and yesterday, onto plenty of drawn comb I released the queen. Today I was s bit concerned as there weren't many flying bees. I had a quick peep and all was well inside the hive with plenty of eggs and bees. I think the new entrance is too small so will make it bigger tomorrow.